Friday, April 24, 2009

Clutch Boy Wonder

Gonzalo 'Pipita' Higuain... What a Player. The Bernabeu's new Hero.
.
.
I am at a loss for words to describe how I feel about this guy. He is just fucking amazing. I still remember him as the buck-toothed, baby-faced ‘nobody’ whom AS once interviewed wearing a Real Madrid shirt they have gifted him (which subsequently got him in hot water with then club River Plate). I was skeptical about him: he wasn’t even a prolific scorer yet… having just scored 2 goals in the Boca-River derby which shot him to fame… but I suppose that was the telling thing about him: a Boy Wonder who had a knack for turning up at the right moment to score the big goals in the big matches… a boy- wonder Mr. Clutch.
.
Phil Ball once compared him to Ruud Van Nistelrooy alias ‘Van Gol’ that where he needs 10 chances to score 1 goal, Ruud needs 1 chance to score 10. But even in his rookie year: we all remember him scoring the 2nd-half equalizer against Atletico in the Bernabeu-edition of the Madrid Derby as his first ever Real Madrid goal. Then in the game I will tell my grand children about, he scored the last gasp-winner against Espanyol that year too where I will never forget the sight of Van Nistelrooy celebrating that goal by holding his Jersey up to the stands as if telling the Bernabeu ‘his name is Higuain, remember it!’ Last season, as a sort of ‘12th man’ in the squad, he also scored the goal that clinched the title for us against Osasuna in a game that looked bleak for us to win.
.
Take Your Pick: I am officially saying that Higuain deserves one of those Jerseys. Some might call it blasphemy, but I truly believe that he has earned Raul's '7' once the great captain retires. .
.
And now, 2-1/2 seasons into his Real Madrid career: he’s on the brink of a 20-goal season while also being the club’s top assist man. At 21, Boy Wonder Higuain is telling us he is the club’s future. Florentino might be coming with Kaka and CR7 (or CR 9 rather)… and God knows who else… and let me say it would be criminal to send this man away. Let me say this too: Real Madrid’s new management next year ought to decide to do one 2 things for ‘Pipita’ (aside from giving him a damn good raise): Give him either the ‘9’ or ‘10’ shirt: or give him Raul’s ‘7’ once El Kapitan makes his said retirement at the end of next season.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment