Thursday, February 11, 2010

2009-02-06: Real Madrid 3 - Espanyol 0


To the few readers and followers of Madridista Mac out there. My apologies for disappearing this weekend. I'm happy to announce to all some great news for me on a personal level: I am getting married this May. It will be on the 23rd... and I'm hoping for bliss BEFORE my wedding be seeing my beloved Merengues raise La Decima the night before. To prepare for the wedding however, I was required last weekend to attend a Wedding-Preparation Spiritual Retreat for couples with the future Mrs. Madridista Mac (a Liverpool fan... I'm still working on converting her to Madridisimo)... resulting in my missing of the Espanyol Match.
.
I did see the replay though... Normally, I wouldn't write anything with these highlight postings, but followers like Dai, Upawan, Siddarth & Deepak lit something insdie me to write a little something this time (Thanks Guys!). Dai even commented on the match:
.
"Well, we ran over Espanyol without much difficulties, but it was bad news that Benzema ended up a virgin. He should have confirmed his value and washed away any doubts (mainly of the press).
.
Now he's injured he'll have to start all over again next time. And Pipita (who scored a GREAT goal with just a few minutes played) has returned to claim his crown back, as well as CR9, who is back again to crush some skulls. And Xerez shouldn't be a hard nut to crack, so anything below 0-4 should be considered dishonorable.
.
I want to see good performances by Granero and Xabi, who have been a good couple in the latest matches, and I'm hoping Kaká keeps advancing in his quest to regain God's favors.
.
Hope all is well with Madridista Mac and that we'll keep on enjoying his great reviews!"
.
.
Well, regarding match, I'd like to say that the midfield looked REALLY good. The combination of Guti, Granero & Xabi Alonso (all-Spanish!) worked wonders.... surprisingly even without Lass to play the role ball winner. They pressured the ball when we didn't have it at Espanyol's side of the pitch, while they made great use of their passing abilities to keep control of the game for us, and kept piercing the opposing defense with their passes to the forwards. Width was well provided by Marcelo and Arbeloa. I'd have to say though that this is not a lineup that can withstand an attack by a top level La Liga or European team (e.g. Valencia, Sevilla, Lyon, etc.). I'm happy to see Pellegrini have the balls to try it though. Of the midfield, Guti played well, so did Xabi Alonso.... plaudits however have to go to Granero who spent the entire game sending dangerous balls into Espanyol's box, 2 of which led to goals. Pirata's re-emergence in this team has been a wonderful breath of fresh air to Madridisimo.
.
Looking forward to Xerez, I wouldn't want to go as far as expecting an 0-4... I am however looking forward to a comfortable win that can see us try out our Canteranos to allow our guys a rest in preparation for the Lyon game this Tuesday - a match I look forward to nervously.
.
In other news... an Ex-Junkie Diego Maradona, who managed to avoid the sack over his shambolic World Cup qualifying campaign hit out at Jorge Valdano for his lack of 'Patriotism'....
.
.
Diego intends to use the stick to locate his brain
.
.
'“We [Argentina] have a huge rival,” he said. “Real Madrid and Jorge Valdano! They practically ruined [Gabriel] Heinze, he wanted to clear [Fernando] Gago out and now [Gonzalo] Higuain must be next because he is scoring more goals than [Karim] Benzema and [Cristiano] Ronaldo together... I had a good relationship with him [Valdano], but the fact that an Argentine could hold back another Argentine sounds disgusting to me."
.
.
Perhaps Maradona's Love for Lady Gago makes him blind to the fact that the SUPPOSED Defensive Midfielder can neither tackle or pass... Ditto for Heinze. By blaming Real Madrid for Heinze's fall from grace, maybe he should play Leo Messi at Left Back & Kun Aguero at the Center of Defense...? perhaps he's afraid Pipita will lose his place because he thinks Higuain is a Goalkeeper??? If anyone is interested in playing for Real Stupido FC (coached by Diego Maradona), please let me know...
.
.
So what does this loser want? Affirmative Action in Real Madrid? For Argentines? In a club based in the capital of Spain? Valdano might be short on Patriotism, but Maradona seems to be REALLY short of Common Sense... Let this serve as a lesson to all: Say no to Drugs!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your wedding Mac! And good luck on your evangelist mission to make your soon-to-be-wife a newborn in the religion of Madridismo! We already got Arbeloa and Xabi Alonso, plus Benítez comes from La Casa Blanca too... you got it half done! :P

    On the Real Madrid tip, I think our biggest rival this saturday will be the field itself: it's in pitiful condition. Ending the match with all our men alive will be itself a great victory.

    About Lass, it's kinda strange. I like him a lot as a player, but the team (Xabi Alonso, specially) seems to play better without him. And I wouldn't like to see Van Der Vaart completely out of the team as he was when the season began. I think he needs to share one of the midfield or side spots, alternating with Guti, Granero and even Kaká.

    And thanks a lot for the quote!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I've mentioned, I'd like to see the trip to Xerez as a chance for us to make use of our fringe players...

    Van Der Vaart to come in for Kaka (who needs resting to dead with his henria problem) to save the Brazilian for Lyon and allow the well-behaved and in-form Dutchman playing time.

    Canteranos to fill in once a lead has been secured. Raul to Start (a FEW minutes for Pipita & Castrol Boy)... even playing time for Lady Gago!

    Re: the midfield. I think that for weaker teams, Lass can be rested to allow Guti (if in form and behaving) and Granero minutes. For games against teams with a good degree of firepower however... I think we'll need a Diarra in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @MM - Congratulations on your wedding. I must tell you that converting Liverpool fans is extremely difficult!

    @Dai - I agree. We must look at fielding our best team (which at the moment does NOT include Lass) and not the team with the best players (which would include Lass). But I am sure the squad is going to be rotated a bit with the Lyon game coming up.

    ReplyDelete