Wednesday, January 29, 2014

4am Blues (and Whites)

Slept too early last night thanks to a cold. Woke up at 4am and unable to doze off again... so I decided to switch on the TV and the computer to catch 2 live matches taking place:
.
Liverpool 4 - Everton 0
Being married to a Liverpool fan (and witnessing their historic 2005 Champions League win) turns you into a a fan. Roberto Martinez's Everton though are a side that's gives you the feel-good element. I thought it'd be a hotly-contested match but it turned out to be a whitewash.
.
Martinez's side looked promising in possession, but Liverpool were just too awesome on the break. Rogers has been putting Gerrard in that central pivot role in the midfield, presumably to use his passing range to influence the game. I'm not sure that'll be useful when playing against sides who will know how to lure the tactically un-disciplined Gerrard out of position. Henderson looks a fit on that right-sided Central Midfield role - he brings work-rate and lots of running. Coutinho was great last night - that pass for Sturridge's first goal reminded me of something out of Guti's repertoire. I am however wondering if Coutinho is too lightweight to play as part of a midfield 3.
.
.
Real Madrid 1 - Espanyol 0
I pay shitloads of money to 2 different cable companies here in Singapore for my football viewing (yup! i have 2 cable TV subscriptions!) to watch La Liga, BPL and the Champions League. The 2 companies also feature coverage of the Bundesliga, Serie A and French League, but I seldom watch them). In any case, despite all that money, I still can't get the Copa Del Rey on my TV. What's up with that shit? I had to watch this one on a stream(s).
.
Kaushik gets the points in our prediction game from our last podcast. He predicted the first Real Madrid goal to be scored by Jese and for Ramos to get a yellow. My 'bets' were completely off: I went for the safe route, going for Ronaldo to open the scoring and the against-the-odds bet of Ramos finishing the game card-free. 
.
Intriguing points to the game: Illaramendi playing alongside Alonso in a midfield 3. He played pretty well in the role - can he win a starter's place in that role one day? The most intriguing part of the game was seeing Isco start as a false 9. I haven't decided yet if I like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment